How To Go To Phnom Penh From Sai Gon
How To Go To Phnom Penh From Sai Gon
It is easy reach of Phnom Penh – the capital of Cambodia from Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) as they aren’t far apart, just only 230 km between the two destinations. You can hop on a coach bus or take a short flight which are the most common ways for tourists. If you wish to visit Mekong Delta and move to Phnom Penh afterwards, there will be other ways come in handy for your travel plan such as speed boat, cruise ship or car. This article offers you an idea that surely matches your travel interest and budget.
1. HO CHI MINH CITY TO PHNOM PENH BY FLIGHT (direct)
– Flight time: 1 hour.
– Fares: from USD 59++/way.
– Airport in Ho Chi Minh: Tan Son Nhat International airport (code: SGN).
– Airport in Phnom Penh: Phnom Penh International Airport (code: PNH).
This is the easiest and quickest way to travel between these two cities. Flights are primarily operated by Cambodia Angkor Air, which is the main airline of Cambodia, as well as Vietnam Airlines and Qatar Airways. They offer few trips daily so you can easy choose if having short trip to explore Vietnam & Cambodia. Another advantage is that both airports are located within the city.
2. HO CHI MINH CITY TO PHNOM PENH BY BUS/ LIMOUSINE BUS
2.1 BY BUS
– Duration: 6 to 7 hours due to traffic en route.
– Costs: from $12 to $19 USD per person each way depending on bus company and departure time.
– Border: Moc Bai (Vietnam side) border and Bavet (Cambodia side) border. Opening from 08:00 to 20:00.
– Bus type: seating bus, sleeper bus, minivan ( thai duong limousine). There is no overnight bus due to closing border hour.
This option is much more popular with locals as well as budget travelers. The downside is that this will take pretty much the entire day to travel. Nonetheless, a cross-border trip offers a new travel experience. On arrival in Phnom Penh, you can book another trip to next destination such as Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, Kampot, Battambang, etc.
The following list is all the major bus companies operating on this route. You can buy the ticket at ticket office in District 1 (Ho Chi Minh City) where is the main site of tourist.
• Giant Ibis: 445,000 VND ~ 19 USD.
• Mekong Express: 350,000 VND ~ 15 USD.
• The Sinh Tourist: 325,000 VND ~ 14 USD.
• Kumho Samco: 315,000 VND ~ 13.5 USD.
• Khai Nam Transport: 250,000 VND ~ 11 USD.
2.2 BY LIMOUSINE BUS
Sapaco bus also has limousine bus (9 seater van) through this route. This is quite comfortable, uncrowded with different experience if travelling by coach bus. It offers a luxurious van trip for 340.000 VND ($15) to 420,000 VND ($18). It’s worth for a try!
Buses depart at 6:00, 6:30, 7:00 in the morning and one afternoon trip leaving at 14:30.
– Original passport (still valid for 6 next months)
– A color photo (passport size)
– Cambodia Visa or Vietnam Visa (if travel vice versa).
Both Cambodia and Vietnam require tourist visa for most nationalities outside of Southeast Asia. Please make sure you have visa in advance or all documents for visa on arrival. Click here for Cambodia visa guideline.
Cambodia Visa can be applied for and issued upon arrival at border. The fee is 30 USD, payable in USD cash only. Some bus companies charge an additional USD 5 service fee at the border for batch processing. Although e-visa is acceptable but passengers will be required to pay an additional US$2 for batch processing. It guarantees a smooth border crossing. Otherwise, you can go with the bus personnel to make the transaction yourselves.
– Usually, the bus personnel will assist their passengers with the entry process. It’s not a very organized process at border so please follow with the group.
– If there are any locals ask to help you carry your luggage, they will expect US$1 per bag. Please aware and carry your luggage by your own.
– Always keep a lookout for the bus personnel or fellow travellers from your bus if you don’t want to get lost.
– Most buses don’t stop for bathroom breaks before you reach the border. The first stop will be after you have just crossed the border. Here, you can also order a meal or buy some snacks with your last Vietnamese Dongs.
3. HO CHI MINH CITY TO PHNOM PENH BY MOTORBIKE
If you would like to set on a trip by motorbike crossing land border, it is possible if you have all the requirements as below:
• Original passport (still valid for 6 next months)
• Cambodia visa
• Your valid international driver’s license
• Documents that prove you own the motorbike you are riding, carte verte (blue card), receipt of the purchase, motorbike insurance.